Alco's World

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Creating a Linux appliance - 2

Ok. I installed PCLinuxOS (pclinuxos.com). I followed the steps located at Pendrivelinux.com. This distro is much more elaborated than DamnSmallLinux...lots of eye candy. It has many GUI features for configuration and administration. It detected all my hardware, and though it shows me all the wireless networks available, I have not been able to connect to any yet.

It even has a feature, via GUI, to make what is called a "Persistent Home". This is, to have a space on the USB to store all the things you do while using the system. You know, you're booting from an USB drive, which uses RAM drives to decompress the OS and use it. Everything's done in 'short term' memory, so when you shut down, you loose changes. Well, with this, you have your own storage space, which is available every time you boot. The step-by-step guide is here.

I have to say that I really like this one.

Still playing with it. Will report back.

-R

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home