Alco's World

Monday, November 20, 2006

Creating a Linux appliance

I'm obsessed with the fact that Linux is an operating system that can run almost anywhere. I have different projects, which may benefit from this feature.

I recently found out, that there are Linux distributions that can even boot up from an USB drive. I did know that there where LiveCD's, which are distributions that you can boot up directly from a CD, without having to install a single program on your computer, but using an USB drive has even more possibilities...for instance, you can save preferences...you can't do that on a CD.

Anyhow, I'm doing an experiment with a distribution called "Damn Small Linux", or DSL (damnsmalllinux.org). I bought a 2GB USB drive for $32, and follow the instructions on http://pendrivelinux.com/2006/03/25/putting-damn-small-linux-dsl-on-usb/.

I have it running, and I'm very impressed....I mean, it's like having a computer inside an USB drive. For instance, I can have a computer without hard drive and CDRom, and can still boot from my USB, browse the Internet, read email, use OpenOffice, etc.

I'm still trying to configure my Wireless card. I'm also thinking on trying out PCLinuxOS, another small distribution, which looks sexier.

-R

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home