Alco's World

Thursday, November 02, 2006

It's all about standards. Why don't people get it?

Today, I was listening to LifeOnline, a Podcast hosted by GoDaddy's CEO Bob Parsons, and they mentioned a site called GoodFortunes.com. This site sells fortune cookies, which you can order, and supposedly, you can specify the messages you want inside of them. Many wicked ideas came to mind, so I decided to give it a look.

As soon as I type the URL and hit "enter", I was welcomed by the most offensive message box I've seen. The message read: "You are not using Internet Explorer Please call 1-800-644-9474 between 8:30 - 5:00 PST to place an order."

Why don't people get it already? When will this whole browser wars end? Why don't people just develop websites following open standards, thus making sure that it runs on ANY browser? Why use features that are proprietary to Internet Explorer, or any other browser for that matter? What is it in IE so special that it's not available in any other browser? Is Microsoft giving you anything back...money, publicity?

Those, and many other questions come to mind every time I browse into a website that explicitly says that it is "best viewed in Internet Explorer". There's even a website I once saw that said: "This site is optimized for Internet Explorer, the internet standard".

COME ON!!!

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home