Alco's World

Monday, January 15, 2007

Are technology and love compatible?

I have a friend that finds it very difficult to understand the benefits of technology. He is the kind of person that browses the internet, but when he needs to register, he doesn't because he doesn't know how to. He browses online stores, makes his picks, and then calls and order over the phone because he doesn't understands how online ordering works. He's a pretty intelligent dude, but he simply doesn't wants to learn. The funny thing is that this person is 27 years old.

He often tells me how technology has changed the world for the worst. He once mentioned the example of places like RAHOLA and CINE FOTO, places where you used to take your 35mm film rolls and get them developed. Most, if not all of these stores have closed down, because digital cameras have made traditional cameras obsolete. Printers allow you now to print your own photos at home, and if you want them professionally printed, just upload them to COSTCO.com and go and pick them up later.

I get into many arguments with him, because I make a living out of technology. I develop software to pretty much replace "brick and mortar" operations. I think that we need to constantly re-define ourselves to catch up with our environment, and technology is not an exception.

However, today I found a site that really scares me. This website allows you to automatically generate poem to your loved one. Simply go to the website, type in the name of your recepient, and optionally if you're going to use the poem along with a gift, and BOOM...you get your "base" poem, which you can then refine, changing the contents of different lines. Notice how the other lines adjust in order to keep the rhyme.

Here's one I wrote for myself.

I wrote this letter especially for you
To prove that my love for you is true
Never shall I kiss someone else's lips
Never will we make any boring trips

I would rather have you than a million bucks
Or than a mansion, no matter how deluxe
Words cannot express
What I felt when you said 'yes'

Alco, you mean so much to me
I never knew this could be
You are my sweetheart day by day
I hope you will never go away

I hope you can put this XBOX 360 to use
It is a gift you cannot refuse
This poem has come to an end
There are many more I would like to send


-R

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home